I will be the first one to admit, I love the Pioneer Woman’s recipes. I have every cookbook and probably tried almost every recipe. Her recipes are super-duper delicious, kid friendly and did I say delicious? But, since they are down-home, cowboy type food – the recipes are full of calories. Which is fine, but not for someone that doesn’t get a lot of activity or does farm work daily. So…… I took my favorite Pioneer Woman recipes and remade them the Weight Watchers Freestyle way. These are super low point delicious recipes.
PIONEER WOMAN RECIPES REMADE THE WEIGHT WATCHERS FREESTYLE WAY
Freestylin’ Eight Layer Dip
The Pioneer Woman’s Eight Layer Dip is simply delicious. No doubt about it. However, at 7 points per serving (which is about 1/3 cup) it’s too many points to use up on an appetizer, in my opinion.
So, here is my just-as-delicious LOW POINT adaptation of the Eight Layer Dip Recipe:
1 16 oz. Container of Fresh Tomato Salsa (0 Points)
1 Recipe of Avocado Free Guacamole (Use Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt instead of regular Greek Yogurt to make this 0 Points)
1 Can of Fat Free Refried Beans (0 Points)
2 Tablespoons of Taco Seasoning (0 Points)
6 ounces or a scant 3/4 cup of Nonfat Sour Cream (6 Points)
1 ½ cups of Kraft Fat Free Shredded Cheese (3 Points)
5 Tablespoons of Sliced Black Olives (3 Points)
1 ½ cups of Frozen Sweet Corn, thawed (0 Points)
3 Scallions, chopped
- Prepare recipe for Avocado Free Guacamole. Set aside.
- Empty Refried Beans into a bowl and stir in Taco Seasoning. Spread mixture over bottom of a 13 x 9 dish.
- Add the Nonfat Sour Cream on top of the Refried Beans and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle all the Fat Free Shredded Cheese on top of Sour Cream.
- Spread the Avocado Free Guacamole recipe from Step 1 on top of Sour Cream evenly.
- Put Black Olives on top of Guacamole.
- Add the Corn on top of Olives.
- Empty the entire container of Fresh Salsa on top of Olives & Corn and spread evenly.
- Add the chopped Scallions on top.
A heaping 1/3 cup of this LOW POINT Freestylin’ 8 Layer Dip is now just 1 POINT per serving. Down from 7 Points! If you went insane and ate the entire 13 x 9 pan – your points value would be 12 Points! Also, you can add Shredded Chicken Breast on top too or Shrimp and it would not add any points. I would eat this with the Joseph’s Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Lavash made into Tortilla Chips. One full size Lavash is only 2 points and make me about 10 good sized “tortilla” chips.
Freestylin’ Deviled Eggs
Yes, full fat mayonnaise is delicious. But the Pioneer Woman’s Deviled Egg recipe for 1 dozen eggs (24 halves) calls for ½ cup of mayonnaise. So for 12 eggs, the total points for all of them is 26 Points! So a half of an egg is just over 1 point. Who eats just one half of a deviled egg? I mean, they are delicious, right?
Here’s the Pioneer Woman’s recipe for Deviled Eggs. Now, lets get all those eggs out of the Easter baskets and make the following 0 POINT Deviled Eggs. Now, no matter if you eat 2 eggs or 24 – it will be 0 Points. How? Instead of using mayonnaise, follow the exact directions but use my 0 Point Hummus Recipe in place of full fat mayonnaise.
Freestylin’ Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries
Not gonna lie, I hate it when I see a recipe taking a 0 point food and turning it into a total points BUSTER. I mean come on already! My vegetables are 0 points and I want to keep them that way or almost that way. This Pioneer Woman’s Recipe for Brussels Sprouts is F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C. No doubt about that. But the entire recipe is a whopping 86 POINTS! Per serving, it’s about 7 points. Now for the LOW POINT Freestylin’ version follow directions below.
- Substitute the 1/2 cup of sugar for 1/2 cup of granulated Splenda.
- Instead of using Olive Oil to coat the Brussels Sprouts, spray Vegetable Cooking Spray over them until well coated.
- Instead of using 1 cup of Dried Cranberries, use 1/4 cup.
- Follow all directions for making the recipe – except make the substitutions outlined above.
Substituting these few ingredients brings this LOW POINT Freestylin’ recipe to 8 Points instead of 86! And that’s 8 Points for the ENTIRE recipe, not just a serving. Now – eat your veggies!
Freestylin’ Chicken Chickpea Curry
While the Pioneer Woman’s Chickpea Curry is delicious on it’s own, I add Chicken to it for a protein packed meal. Thankfully, the Chicken does not add any points to this recipe. As it is now, the Chickpea Curry comes to a total of 92 Points for the entire recipe or about 15 Points per serving. Here are the substitutions that I made turn this into a Freestylin’ Chicken Chickpea Curry recipe:
- Substitute the Basmati Rice for Cauliflower Rice.
- Instead of using Vegetable Oil, use Vegetable Cooking Spray.
- Instead of Coconut Milk, I use 1/2 cup of Nonfat Greek Yogurt & 1/2 cup of Fat Free Evaporated Milk – stirred together).
- I add a drop or two of Coconut Extract into the Milk mixture in Step 3.
When I made this recipe, I add cooked Chicken Cutlets (cubed) into the mixture. With all the above substitutions, the entire recipe is down from 92 Points to 5 POINTS! So the new LOW POINT Freestylin’ recipe is just under 1 POINT per serving!
I plan on making the Freestylin’ 8 Layer Dip and the Freestylin’ Deviled Eggs on Memorial Day Weekend. These are party pleasers and they do not have to be reheated – which is always a plus in the Summer.
Weight Watchers Freestyle 0 Point Foods make it super easy to adapt traditionally higher point recipes into low point recipes and yet get bigger servings. All I can say is YUM and more please!
Also, would you like to see a HUGE party menu for the 4th of July that has 13 Printable 0 Point Recipes? Click here!