This post contains affiliate links.
Get ready for a healthy and cozy fall pasta dinner recipe – it’s Pumpkin Gnocchi with Crushed Amaretto Crumb Topping!
This dish brings together the comforting flavors of pumpkin, spices, and homemade gnocchi. The pumpkin gnoochi are lightly coated in a creamy yet healthy cheese sauce and then I sprinkle it all with ground Amaretto cookies.
It’s a unique blend of sweet and savory autumn deliciousness that’s perfect for an easy going family dinner. This recipe celebrates the flavors of the season in the most delicious and casual way possible. Get ready to dig into a bowl of delicious comfort food.
THIS POST CONTAINS AMAZON AFFILIATE LINKS WHICH MEANS IF YOU PURCHASE SOMETHING USING THE LINKS BELOW, I WILL RECEIVE A VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE OF THE SALE FOR RECOMMENDING THE PRODUCT TO YOU. THIS IS ALL AT NO COST TO YOU. THANK YOU IF YOU DO PURCHASE SOMETHING FROM AMAZON THAT WAS USED IN MAKING THESE RECIPES.
What healthy ingredients do I need for this Fall Pasta Recipe?
For the Pumpkin Gnocchi:
- Pumpkin Puree: Rich in vitamin A, pumpkin puree is excellent for eye health and provides fiber for digestion.
- Whole Wheat Flour: Whole wheat flour is a good source of fiber and essential nutrients, including B vitamins and minerals like magnesium and iron.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese: Parmesan cheese adds a burst of flavor and a moderate amount of protein and calcium, which is essential for bone health.
- Salt: Use in moderation, salt is necessary for electrolyte balance in the body.
- Ground Nutmeg and Cinnamon: These spices offer potential health benefits, including antioxidant properties and digestion support.
- Egg : Eggs are a source of protein and various essential nutrients, including choline and vitamin B12.
PIN FOR LATER
For the Healthy Creamy Cheese Sauce:
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and antioxidants like vitamin E.
- Garlic: Garlic has potential health benefits, including immune support and the ability to improve heart health.
- Low-Fat Milk: Low-fat milk provides calcium and protein while being lower in fat than whole milk.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese: Parmesan cheese offers the creamy texture and cheesy flavor with reduced saturated fat content.
- Whole Wheat Flour: Whole wheat flour is a source of dietary fiber, providing digestive benefits.
- Salt and Pepper: Salt and pepper should be used in moderation to add flavor but not excessively, considering salt’s potential impact on blood pressure.
- Amaretto Cookies (for topping): Amaretto cookies add a delightful crunch and sweetness.
Healthy Pasta Fall Dinner Recipe of Pumpkin Gnoochi with Crushed Amaretto Crumb Topping
For The Pumpkin Gnoochi
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree Not PIE FILLING
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 Cup Reduced Fat Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
For The Healthy Cheese Coating Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 Cup 1% Milk
- 1/2 Cup Reduced Fat Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon All Purpose White Flour
- Salt/Pepper to Taste
- 4 Amaretto Cookies, Crushed
- Fresh Basil Leaves or Sage Leaves, Optional
For the Pumpkin Gnoochi
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, ground nutmeg, and ground cinnamon. Mix until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour to the pumpkin mixture, stirring continuously, until a soft dough forms. If the dough is too sticky, you can add a little more flour until it becomes workable.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough gently for a few minutes until it comes together. If the dough is too sticky, you can sprinkle more flour as needed.
- Divide the dough into small portions and roll each portion into a rope about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut the ropes into bite-sized pieces and press each piece lightly with a fork to create ridges (this helps the sauce adhere better). To bind the dough further, beat an egg yolk in a separate bowl and brush it lightly over the gnocchi.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the gnocchi into the boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until they float to the surface. Remove them with a slotted spoon and place in a large bowl.
For The Light Cheese Sauce
- In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for about 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the flour over the garlic and stir to create a roux. Cook for another minute to remove the raw flour taste.
- Gradually pour in the low-fat milk while continuously whisking to avoid lumps.
- Continue to whisk and cook the sauce for a few minutes until it starts to thicken. Be mindful not to over-thicken; it should be a light, creamy consistency
- Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese. Keep stirring until the cheese is fully melted, and the sauce is smooth and coats the back of a spoon. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over gnoochi in the bowl and stir. Garnish with fresh herbs of your choice. Basil and sage are my favorites.
For The Amaretto Crumb Topping
- In a food processor, pulverize 3 Amaretto Cookies until they are fine crumbs (similar to bread crumbs). Sprinkle over the 4 servings of Pumpkin Gnoochi in the Healthy Cheese Sauce.
- This makes 4 servings and is 10 Points on Weight Watchers per serving. Enjoy!
RELATED: Healthy Fall Pumpkin Recipes
Get cozy and dive into the flavors of fall with this Healthy Pasta Fall Dinner Recipe of Pumpkin Gnocchi with Light Parmesan Sauce. It’s the perfect mix of comfort and healthy eating. Why wait? Give it a shot and enjoy this healthy goodness right now!